Taco Stuffed Peppers are a great weeknight meal because not only are they quick and easy, but they are cooked mainly in a slow cooker or instant pot. These stuffed peppers are healthy, high in protein, and are loaded with a variety of vegetables. A clean meal that the entire family will love!
For many people, tacos are one of those delicious and authentic Mexican dishes that people avoid when trying to lose weight or maintain a healthy weight. This recipe reminds me of Mexican tacos, but instead the flavorful ground turkey is wrapped inside of a bell pepper. You get the same flavor and extra vegetables, all in one! Not only are you getting a serving of vegetables from the bell pepper, but they are also stuffed with mushrooms and onions. The flavor on these stuffed peppers is un-beatable! Together the combination of salsa and taco seasoning help keep the ground turkey from tasting dry and instead taste very authentic.
How to balance these peppers with other healthy sides:
Although these taco stuffed peppers are high in protein, they aren’t quite a full source of carbohydrates. There are many ways you can add carbs to this meal to make it more balanced. One carb that I like to eat with is brown rice. Brown rice is a great carbohydrate because it is whole grain and has a low glycemic index. Sweet potatoes are another starch that taste great with these peppers, especially when seasoned with paprika, salt, and pepper.
Add extra vegetables:
I also recommend adding extra vegetables on the side of these healthy stuffed peppers. The Mexican flavors can be paired well with a green side salad or with extra roasted vegetables. If you are wanting to add roasted vegetables, I recommend baking them on a baking sheet at 400 F degrees while your turkey stuffed peppers finish cooking in the slow cooker.
Check out another one of my favorite fall recipes, Low Sugar Pumpkin Muffins. They are a sweet treat that goes perfectly with these Turkey Stuffed Peppers.
Tips for Making Taco Stuffed Peppers:
- Cooking Method: If you don’t have an instant pot or a slow cooker, or a metal rack, no worries! You can finish the cooking process in the oven. Bake the stuffed peppers at 400 F degrees for 20-25 minutes, or until the peppers are soft. The baking method may be quicker, but the slow cooker meal retains some of the juices better.
- Salsa: I typically use mild-medium red salsa when making this recipe, you feel free to use a different type of salsa, for example chile verde, if you prefer. All types of salsa pair well with the taco seasoning.
- Toppings: You are welcome to top the stuffed peppers with extra topping such as avocado, sour cream, or cheese. Adding those extra toppings add more fat, so if you choose to add them, watch your serving size.
Taco Stuffed Peppers
- Slow Cooker/Instant Pot
- Large skillet
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 cup onion, chopped
- 1 1/2 tsp garlic, minced or 3 cloves
- 1/2 cup mushrooms, diced
- 1 tbsp taco seasoning see recipe notes to make your own
- 3/4 cup salsa
- 4 medium bell peppers
- 2 tbsp fresh cilantro, chopped
- In a large skillet, over medium-high heat, heat the olive oil. Once it is hot, add turkey, onions, garlic and mushrooms.
- Brown the turkey for 5-7 minutes, continually stirring and breaking up the meat with a rubber spatula or a wooden spoon.
- Once the meat is cooked until there is no pink, or until 165 F degrees, add the taco seasoning and the salsa. Stir and cook for 1-2 more minutes. Remove from the heat
- Pour 1/4 cup water into your slow cooker or instant pot. Place a small metal rack on top of the water.
- Place the stuffed peppers on the metal rack. Cover and cook on low for 2 hours, or until the peppers are tender.
- Serve the peppers on a plate, topped with a touch of cilantro. Discard the liquid in the slow cooker. Enjoy!