This protein-baked oatmeal recipe is just what you need to kick off the holiday parties with a high-protein, healthy breakfast! The 4th of July is often filled with lots of good food, family time, and enjoying the summer weather.
However, celebrating holidays often means eating unhealthy foods. One of the best ways to curb your cravings for unhealthy foods throughout the day is to start the day off with a balanced breakfast.
This recipe serves 6 people. Also, it contains 235 calories, 12 grams of protein, 5 grams of fiber, and only 4 grams of fat. In this one meal you are getting a variety of each of the macronutrients while also adding fiber to your diet and getting a serving of fruits.
This protein baked oatmeal recipe is also a great recipe for children. Decorate the oatmeal with sliced bananas, strawberries, and blueberries to make it look like an American flag. The more “fun” you make your foods look, the more likely your kids will eat them!
Additional toppings that pair well with this baked oatmeal are maple syrup, coconut flakes, or extra fruit.
If you are curious about learning more of the health benefits of oatmeal, check out the blog post Reasons to Eat Carbs in Oatmeal.
4th of July Protein Baked Oatmeal
- 8×8 baking pan
- 2 cups oats
- 1/3 cup vanilla protein powder
- 1 cup bananas, mashed
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 1/3 cup hemp seeds (optional)
- 1/2 cup strawberries
- 1/2 cup blueberries
- 1/2 small banana
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 8×8 baking pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a medium-size mixing bowl, combine oats and vanilla protein powder. Set aside.
- In a larger mixing bowl, mash bananas (roughly 2 bananas) until you have 1 cup. Make sure there are no large clumps.
- Add the oats and protein powder to the mixed bananas. Then add the eggs, milk, vanilla, cinnamon, maple syrup, and hemp seeds (if desired). Mix until all the ingredients are combined.
- Transfer mixture to the prepared baking pan. Spread it out evenly using a rubber spatula. Top with sliced fruit. *If you are making this for the 4th of July, you may want to place the sliced fruit in a shape of an American flag!*
- Bake for 30 minutes, or until golden brown. Serve with maple syrup, coconut flakes, or more fruit. Enjoy!